This year spring officially starts on March 23rd and we wanted to share some tips with homeowners on things their homes should get done when spring weather arrives. A little bit of preventive work can save you some big bucks down the road, but if you do need a handyman to come out and help you out, just give us a call! Lastly, it goes without saying that some of these things are dangerous and should be done by a professional!
- Take a look at your roof and gutters to check if there’s any damage due to the winter season. If you notice any leaks or other issues, make sure you get them fixed up as soon as possible.
- Take a peek at the foundation: Have a look for any gaps or evidence of settling. If there are then you should have it evaluated by a professional and have it taken care of straight away.
- Get the HVAC system serviced: Get your AC unit checked and cleaned up before the hot days come around. Be sure that the hoses that go from your AC and into your house have good insulation on them. Over the freezing winter months that insulation can get damaged by ice expanding.
- Make sure to inspect your doors and windows – if you spot any leaks or breezes then you may need to get some weatherstripping or caulk and take care of it. You can slowly run your hand around the window on a cool day and easily tell if there is a draft in any of the corners.
- Inspect your outdoor furniture, especially if it was sitting outside during the winter months. Give your outdoor furniture a once-over and check for any changes/damage. If necessary, carry out any repairs or replacements needed.
- Keep the deck or patio in tip-top shape – give it a good power wash and if need be seal it to guard against any damage.
- Don’t forget to test your smoke and carbon monoxide detectors regularly – it’s important for the safety of yourself and your family.
- Make sure to get your chimney checked and cleaned – it’s essential for keeping it safe to use and to minimize fire issues.
- Make sure to check and clean out your dryer vents! Clogged ones can be a huge safety risk, so it’s important to get them cleaned regularly. That way, you can make sure they’re always in top condition.
- Lastly, spring is ideal for sprucing up your yard, so get to planning and planting your garden! When winter is done its always fun to plan a new yard setup. It’s also a good time to think about any landscaping makeovers or updates you want to do!
A handyman can help you tackle a variety of tasks around your home – from small repairs to those big fixes. Our handymen and handywomen can help you save time, money and frustration by taking care of repairs and installations quickly and professionally. Whether you need help with a single task or multiple projects give us your to do home repairs list and our handyman will the job done right. We service most Boston north towns including Andover, Reading, North Reading, Lynnfield, Melrose, Stoneham, Wakefield, Winchester, Woburn and others! Call us our Wakefield handyman office at 781-888-7225 and let us help you with many of these chores!